The Academic Booster Club of Puyallup got its start as a community of families who joined together to support the needs of highly capable children in the Puyallup School District. Highly Capable students needed someone to advocate for them, and someone to help provide supplemental educational materials that schools could not afford, but that were necessary for them to meet their distinctive intellectual needs. ABC has also been there to support teachers and administrators as they pursue professional development training to better serve highly capable children. We were there when the QUEST Program for Academic Excellence was born, and will continue to support QUEST as it evolves to meet the needs of our children. We worked with the school district on behalf of our children to expand their highly capable offerings from elementary school only to including Junior High Schools in the PAGE program. We will continue to work with the District to help find the best solutions for all its children.
A partial list of what ABC does:
- Showcases Puyallup’s highly capable programs
- Supports funding for gifted education at the district, state, and national levels
- Advocates for academic excellence at the junior and senior high levels
- Sponsors family activities
- Provides scholarships for graduating seniors and summer enrichment programs
- Supports the professional development of educators for highly capable students at the elementary and secondary level
- Funds educational experiences for QUEST and PAGE students
- Purchases classroom materials and technology for the QUEST and PAGE programs
As we’ve worked with parents in Puyallup, and across Washington State, we’ve found that families across the state are facing the same issues when it comes to finding an appropriate education for our highly capable children. We’ve also found that many parents feel isolated, and are looking for ways to exchange information with other parents in their districts, and other parent groups in the State and across the country. This website is our way of sharing our successes and our challenges with the community. Everyone interested in the needs of highly capable children is welcome to join and participate.